develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from June 2008

Re: How to hide the source of pm files using pp

From:
Eric Wilhelm
Date:
June 6, 2008 00:52
Re: How to hide the source of pm files using pp
Message ID:
200806060052.20611.ewilhelm@cpan.org
# from Steffen Mueller
# on Friday 06 June 2008 00:16:

>> I just want to Obfuscate 3 .pm files that I wrote.
>>
>> Can I do that ?
>
>You can either obfuscate them manually before packaging. This is a
>highly dubious thing, though. Check out B::Deparse and *seriously*,
> read the docs (and CAVEATS) for Filter::Crypto. You're down a dead
> end.

Perhaps a PAR::Filter::Legalese is the way to go?  That is, if you're
not trying to technologically defeat a sophisticated international
piracy ring, you just need to clearly state the legal ramifications of
unauthorized redistribution in the source.  Of course, we don't need a
filter for that, just a good chunk of legalese and an editor with paste
support.

Taking all of the caveats as read (including the ones about decompiling
object code), I think the only way to reach obfuscation parity with the
typical manner of distributing a compiled (C/C++/Java) binary would be
something like a custom parl (where the decryption key is handled by
(or built into) the binary.)  Of course, publishing the code for said
binary would make it easier to defeat, which is (apparently) why
activestate is able to sell their proprietary binary packager (and why
the community has such trouble giving one away.)

--Eric
--
Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to
predict the future is to invent it.