develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from May 2008

best win32 perl to use

From:
Bob Davis
Date:
May 23, 2008 08:37
Subject:
best win32 perl to use
Message ID:
4836E4AB.1000304@bobsbits.net
I am using cygwin currently.

It has the following problems:
1. Requires cygwin dll's(cygwin1.dll cygcrypt-0.dll cygperl5_8.dll) to
be predistributed to target machines
2. Can't embed icon or version in exe

I am thinking of switching to a native win32 perl to get around these
problems. Choices so far.

1. Strawberry perl.
    pro: uses cpan and is more like rest of perls.
    con: isn't listed on cpan as tested for various modules.
    con: never used it before.
2. Activestate
    pro: been around a long time and is therefore stable?
    pro: I have used it for many years before I switched to cygwin.
    con: uses ppm and other non standard tools.

I assume that either of these perls fix my problems(limitations) with
cygwin.

bob