develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from May 2008

Re: BUG? PAR::par_handle($0) on cygwin

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
May 21, 2008 08:57
Re: BUG? PAR::par_handle($0) on cygwin
Message ID:
4834466B.5010804@sneakemail.com
Robert Davis wrote:
> I was just trying to report what I considered a bug/pitfall. So now that
> I read the code I see how I could use the zlib functions directly.

Since very recently*, there's also the function "get_filehandle" which
gives you the filehandle to the ZIP member. If you use this, you don't
have to risk falling prey to an internal change in how PAR handles the
opened .par's. A filehandle has the advantage that the ZIP member
doesn't have to be entirely decompressed into memory. (I think.
Archive::Zip might be doing weird stuff.)

Cheers,
Steffen

* in the SVN trunk version of PAR, not on CPAN yet