develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from October 2006

PAR 0.957 and maintenance

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
October 24, 2006 10:04
Subject:
PAR 0.957 and maintenance
Message ID:
453E47A5.8070502@sneakemail.com
Hi Audrey, hi par@perl.org,

PAR 0.957 is on its way to CPAN. It is a bug fix release without new
features. In particular, this release fixes a bug which broke the
symlink-behaviour of pp-ed executables. ChangeLog attached.

Furthermore, I have to announce that I will have to reduce the amount of
time I can put into patching up PAR because of my workload. I'm not
disappearing completely, but my response time and my responses'
helpfulness are likely to degrade.

The lurkers on this mailing list have been very responsive to both my
inquiries as well as user questions. The RT bug queue has been solely my
domain for quite some while now, unfortunately. I have put a lot of work
into cleaning it up. If we'd ignore all new tickets for a couple of
months, it would surely become completely cluttered again. Addressing
new tickets is much easier than cleaning up stale tickets because the
submitters are naturally more responsive if they still care.

Would it be acceptable if I forwarded most new RT tickets to the list
for now? That way, we could work on them together.

I would hate if PAR fell into bitrot.

Steffen

[Changes for 0.957 - Oct 24, 2006]
* Bug fixes, etc.
   - Fix executable PARs top properly detect embedded scripts
     named the same as the executable. (Jesse Vincent)
   - Comment out the call to par_current_exec_proc (in the C loader)
     which breaks the use of symlinks to pp-ed executables when not
     called with a path. (I.e. using a search in $PATH).