develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from October 2006

Re: [rt.cpan.org #13508] cannot find Glib.dll on win32, despite beingpackaged in the exe

From:
Glenn Linderman
Date:
October 3, 2006 02:35
Re: [rt.cpan.org #13508] cannot find Glib.dll on win32, despite beingpackaged in the exe
Message ID:
45222EC8.5010901@NevCal.com
On approximately 9/1/2006 2:53 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Marc Lehmann:
> Right, I am the only one who managed to package gtk+ with perl on windows
> so far, to my knowledge, and I had to work around some other par bugs
> (such as adding its own defective entry to @INC _multiple_ times during
> program execution) but thats not the actual problem.
>
> The actual problem is and stays that par (version 1.52) does not correctly
> package perl modules using xs and shared objects.
>
> In case it matters, here is what I do a as workaround:
>
> 1. par keeps  alot of crust in @INC leading to clashes if a user has a
> different but incompatible pelr installed:
>
>       @INC = grep ref, @INC; # weed out all paths except pars loader refs
>
> 2. I pre-push my own libdir in @INC, both at BEGIN time as well as on main
> program start, because par pushes its own handler in front of it.
>
> 3. I manually package all Glib and gtk2-module related files into my own
> hierarchy. No @INC handler required, no renaming required, simply works.

Well, I finally found a few minutes tonight while waiting for something
else, to see if I could get ImageMagick working with PAR in a similar
manner.  I have a couple questions about what you do for #2 and #3.

3. Do you use a -A file that lists all the pieces of GTK for reference
in the pp command?  How do you deal with relative vs absolute path
names, and where/how do you target the location of the extracted
pieces?  Do you move them under your build environment so you can
reference them relative, and let them get unpacked under inc, or maybe a
level lower?

2. Does "pre-push" mean "unshift"?  And is the path  $ENV{'PAR_TEMP'} .
'/inc'  ?  Or something way different?

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/