develooper Front page | perl.packrats | Postings from November 2002

Re: The history of the lighter side of Perl culture

From:
merlyn
Date:
November 3, 2002 15:45
Re: The history of the lighter side of Perl culture
Message ID:
861y62kzas.fsf@red.stonehenge.com

Elaine> *>6) Obfus           Derived from JAPHS (?) Who did the first one?

Elaine> Obfuscated perl? Gee, that's going to be hard to pin down to a
Elaine> particular person or date as, like golf, it's a natuarl
Elaine> extension of the language as well as a tradition in
Elaine> programming circles ala the obfuscated c contest etal. [ which
Elaine> I'll note goes back a /lot/ further than JAPHs ]

Elaine> I'd pin it on Jon Orwant and TPJ for starting the Obfuscated
Elaine> Perl Contest in 96.

And Larry for winning the obfuscated C contest some years earlier.
(No, it *wasn't* the Perl source he submitted, in spite of rumors to
the contrary.  The Perl source exceeded the 1K limit. :)