develooper Front page | perl.packrats | Postings from November 2002

Re: The history of the lighter side of Perl culture

From:
mjd-perl-packrats
Date:
November 3, 2002 08:17
Re: The history of the lighter side of Perl culture
Message ID:
20021103161434.7448.qmail@plover.com

> 3) Perl Poetry     L.Wall (1990).

According to the pink camel book, the April 1990 posting was a
forgery.  You might want to ask Sharon Hopkins.

> 4) Haiku           Popularized by D.Conway(1998) in Coy module,
>                    but were they popular before this?

Obviously a direct outgrowth of the poetry.

> 6) Obfus           Derived from JAPHS (?)

Most likely the other way around.  There has been an annual
International Obfuscated C Code Contest since 1984.  If you look at
the history on their web site (http://www.ioccc.org/) you will notice
that a certain L. Wall was a repeat winner.

> 7) Joke Modules    sh2perl (R.Schwartz,1998)

My "Addition.pm" was released on 8 January 1998.  I released
"Identity.pm" on 23 February 1998.  I can't think of any earlier joke
modules offhand, but of course that hardly means that there weren't
any.

> 9) April Fools     1990: "Black Perl" --  L.Wall
>                    1998: sh2perl -- R.Schwartz
>                    1999: Semi::semicolons -- M.Schwern
>                    1999: "Java Mongers" -- ??
>                    2001: parrot -- S.Cozens
>                    2001: Acme::Buffy -- L.Brocard

There's some tradition of sending April Fool patches to p5p.
See for example

        http://perl.plover.com/idiocy/April1/