develooper Front page | perl.packrats | Postings from November 2002

Re: The history of the lighter side of Perl culture

From:
Greg McCarroll
Date:
November 3, 2002 07:46
Re: The history of the lighter side of Perl culture
Message ID:
20021103154538.A11159@mccarroll.demon.co.uk
* Dave Cross (dave@dave.org.uk) wrote: >

> This is just a mutution of the "Perl is my bitch" meme that infected
> london.pm in the summer of 2000. There was discussion of printing
> t-shirts with that slogan for the first YAPC::Europe, and of the
> appropriateness (or otherwise) of YAS being associated with the
> slogan. When the shirts finally appeared at the end of 2000, they had
> been printed privately.

As this is packrats and i must assume this will be recorded, hence I'd
like to pedantically correct the above.

YAPC::Europe never intended to print the t-shirts for the conference,
a party who I shall not name was already going to print the t-shirts
and offered to donate the profits to YAPC::Europe. This fragile
(although some will disagree) connection lead to all sorts of
``discussion''.

> When the Damian sponsorship idea was first widely discussed (at YAPC::Europe,
> London, Sept 2000), there was some talk of printing "Damian is my bitch"
> t-shirts to raise the mon ey. This never happened, but during 2001, Schwern spent
> some time working for Blackstar in Belfast (partly in response to their large
> donation to the Damian fund). The combination of all these factors lead to
> the "Schwern is my bitch" shirts appearing at YAPC::Europe 2001 in Amsterdam.

They were unveiled en masse when the Belfast.pm contingent took front
row seats in Schwern's talk and then proceeded to remove their
jumpers/coats/shirts whatever to reveal the SimB t-shirts during his
talk.

At the auction Schwern signed a couple of them, hence making them in
his own words ``legally binding'' ;-).

Greg

--
Greg McCarroll                         http://www.mccarroll.org.uk/~gem/