develooper Front page | perl.packrats | Postings from November 2002

Re: The history of the lighter side of Perl culture

From:
Dave Cross
Date:
November 3, 2002 07:32
Re: The history of the lighter side of Perl culture
Message ID:
20021103153017.GB18726@tma1.mag-sol.demon.co.uk
On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 11:49:47PM +1100, Andrew Savige (ajsavige@yahoo.com.au) wrote:
> I am giving my first Perl talk to Sydney.pm in a week or so and would
> like to start it with an introduction to the lighter side of Perl
> culture.

Excellent idea.

> I started by trying to identify the categories. Here is what I have
> come up with so far. Being a Perl late-comer, I am not certain of
> the accuracy of what follows. Corrections and additions welcome.
> Some of this info. was got from history.perl.org, some from various
> emails to perl mailing lists.
>
> 7) Joke Modules    sh2perl (R.Schwartz,1998)
>                    Semi::semicolons (M.Schwern,1999)

From, I believe, an original idea by David Adler.

>                    Acme namespace (D.Conway,2001 via Acme::Bleach)

IIRC, when Damian first demonstrated the module to London.pm in Feb 2001,
it was just called "Bleach". The Acme:: namespace followed soon after.

> 8) Sayings/Quotes  Many from L.Wall from C source code comments etc.
>                    Two interesting recent ones:
>                      "use strict is gay" (BK,P.Cawley,D.Cross,R.Clamp)

The original discussion that lead to this meme has long been removed from
the message board, but the Wayback Machine sees all:

<http://web.archive.org/web/20010714061728/http://www.cookwood.com/cgi-bin/lcastro/perlbbs.pl?read=4700>

>                      "schwern is my bitch" (Belfast.pm (?))
>                    I know history of the former but what does it mean:
>                      "schwern is my bitch" ??

This is just a mutution of the "Perl is my bitch" meme that infected london.pm
in the summer of 2000. There was discussion of printing t-shirts with that
slogan for the first YAPC::Europe, and of the appropriateness (or otherwise)
of YAS being associated with the slogan. When the shirts finally appeared
at the end of 2000, they had been printed privately.

When the Damian sponsorship idea was first widely discussed (at YAPC::Europe,
London, Sept 2000), there was some talk of printing "Damian is my bitch"
t-shirts to raise the money. This never happened, but during 2001, Schwern spent
some time working for Blackstar in Belfast (partly in response to their large
donation to the Damian fund). The combination of all these factors lead to
the "Schwern is my bitch" shirts appearing at YAPC::Europe 2001 in Amsterdam.

> 9) April Fools     1990: "Black Perl" --  L.Wall
>                    1998: sh2perl -- R.Schwartz
>                    1999: Semi::semicolons -- M.Schwern
>                    1999: "Java Mongers" -- ??

I thought there was still a version of this hidden on the pm.org web site,
but I can't find it.

>                    2001: parrot -- S.Cozens
>                    2001: Acme::Buffy -- L.Brocard

hth,

Dave...

--
  ...she opened strange doors that we'd never close again