develooper Front page | perl.p5ee | Postings from December 2004

Re: PHP is the scourge

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
December 8, 2004 08:40
Re: PHP is the scourge
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.61.0412081039090.339@urth.org
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 10:13 -0600, Dave Rolsky wrote:
>> I've never written an app for a client that started on one backend and
>> moved to another.
>
> I have.  I helped move an app from MySQL to Oracle once.  It took a lot
> of work to get rid of mysql-isms, but the DBI code itself hardly changed
> at all.  I would agree with the earlier poster that the level of
> abstraction DBI provides is really helpful when this sort of thing comes
> along.  I suspect Pear::DB is fine for this too.

I think the consistency of DB is helpful even if you never move an app
from one DBMS to another.  Chances are you'll still end up using more than
one in a career, and being able to connect and send queries with the same
API is great.  What I don't think is attempting to mask _all_ the
differences (particularly in SQL itself) between various DBMS backends.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg.