develooper Front page | perl.p5ee | Postings from December 2004

Re: Perl Framework Licensing, was: The P5EE dream is alive, was:ping...

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
December 7, 2004 14:43
Re: Perl Framework Licensing, was: The P5EE dream is alive, was:ping...
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.61.0412071642210.339@urth.org
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Stephen Adkins wrote:

> The GPL affects code that is "linked" to it and then redistributed.
> The issue of "linking" is a gray area.  I believe Larry Wall has
> expressed that the scripting nature of the perl language means that
> it is not a linked language, and the GPL on one module does not
> therefore transfer to applications that use it.

I've asked the FSF about just this, and their opinion is that the way in
which a library is loaded (linked at compile time or loaded at runtime) is
not relevant.

So a GPL-only Perl module would make any app that uses it GPL.

But note that the standard Perl license is not GPL-only, it is
GPL|Artistic.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg.