develooper Front page | perl.p5ee | Postings from December 2004

Perl Framework Licensing, was: The P5EE dream is alive, was:ping...

From:
Stephen Adkins
Date:
December 7, 2004 14:37
Subject:
Perl Framework Licensing, was: The P5EE dream is alive, was:ping...
Message ID:
1102440895.30581.18.camel@localhost
Hi,

This is my understanding of Perl licensing:

   Perl frameworks do not pass their GPL license to applications
   that are written with them.  You can use any GPL'ed perl framework
   to build a proprietary application and license it separately
   (non-GPL'ed).

The GPL affects code that is "linked" to it and then redistributed.
The issue of "linking" is a gray area.  I believe Larry Wall has
expressed that the scripting nature of the perl language means that
it is not a linked language, and the GPL on one module does not
therefore transfer to applications that use it.

Stephen