develooper Front page | perl.p5ee | Postings from December 2004

Re: PHP is the scourge

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
December 7, 2004 11:42
Re: PHP is the scourge
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.61.0412071339190.339@urth.org
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Richard Dice wrote:

> Dave,
>
>> I think it does an ok job, but that's not really it's goal.  I also don't
>> think this is super important.  You pick a particular DBMS because you
>> think it's the right tool for the job.  Only in a few rare cases (apps
>> written for wide distribution) is there any reason to consider portability
>> across DBMS backends.
>
> Good point.
>
> From a framework author's point of view, the framework should be able to work
> with whatever database the app developer deems to be the correct one for
> their situation.  (I believe this is just the logical extension to what you
> were saying.)

Yep, pretty much.  So-called "database independence" is something sought
our by people who don't know much about databases, IMO.  If you're just
treating your SQL DBMS like a filesystem or "object store", you're missing
out on all the power the DBMS can provide if you actually use it properly.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg.