develooper Front page | perl.nordic.workshop | Postings from May 2007

Re: Some ideas for NPW2008 in Stockholm

From:
Claes Jakobsson
Date:
May 23, 2007 06:52
Re: Some ideas for NPW2008 in Stockholm
Message ID:
BC51A64C-BD36-4FFC-A6BC-22574AA1E083@surfar.nu
Hi,

On 23 maj 2007, at 10.39, Tobias Wrigstad wrote:
> Hi guys,

"resistance is futile, you will be assimilated"

Welcome to the crowd of Perl community volunteers =)

If you're not already on the Stockholm Perl Mongers list maybe you
want to join it as well.

> What I was thinking would be to try and get academics to give
> presentations thinking that talks of a more general nature should
> be interesting to the Perl community too. A bit like a basic
> course in algorithms are good regardless of programming languages.
> Cool and inspiring stuff is cool and inspiring to Perl programmers
> too. I think you get my point. And I think academics will get
> something out of meeting vibrant programming crowd.

well, NPW has traditionally assumed the attendees to have at least an
intermediate level of programming experience and understanding of
Perl and I think we should try to keep it that way. The conference is
not about teaching specific areas as it is to spawn an interest
around cool Perl stuff and the social bit of getting to know people
with similar interests. The few introductory presentations we've had
has been around a specific toolkit or concept such as OO in Perl.

I'd love to see more students at NPW but unless they have some
understanding of Perl and the community it might be hard for them to
grasp what it's all about. If it can be arranged I'd be willing to
give an introductory course on Perl and its surroundings to those who
are interested.

> I also understand that you want to protect the P in NPW, by all
> means. I think my goal fits under a more general theme hat. The
> important bit is who you try to coerce to come to town, I guess.

Maybe not fanatically but IMHO I want a workshop about and around
Perl and not programming in general. There are of course different
ways of protecting P - building borders or embracing others. I vouch
for the second option.

> I am hopeful that we can work something out with the University
> for venue. I am not sure exactly what the policy is, and what
> deals have been struck before, but I will try and find out and
> report back to you. (I'm not in Sweden at the moment, so this
> will happen next week at the earliest.)

Excellent =)

/Claes