develooper Front page | perl.mvs | Postings from June 2017

Re: Accessing TCPIP.DATA from Perl on os390

From:
Dick Franks
Date:
June 26, 2017 13:25
Re: Accessing TCPIP.DATA from Perl on os390
Message ID:
CAKW6Ri6to6aGO0-2UzykHnwrWXVrCgg=+F0HNRBZ-PRe-PJJMA@mail.gmail.com
The solution adopted (ab)uses cat to extend Perl's standard open to reach
MVS datasets:

            local *FILE;                # "cat" able to read MVS dataset
            open( FILE, qq[cat "$dataset" 2>/dev/null |] );

Error reporting is far from ideal, either spilling out on STDERR or
silenced by redirecting to /dev/null.

There does not seem to be any way of capturing a failure to open a dataset
other than by attempting to read it and discovering that it appears to be
empty.

Net::DNS 1.11 has just been released on CPAN.

Thanks for helping to make this happen.

Dick Franks