develooper Front page | perl.moose | Postings from July 2014

Re: Justification - Moose not slow

From:
Fields, Christopher J
Date:
Re: Justification - Moose not slow
Message ID:
A50497F4-15AF-4454-9542-64779BF6CB97@illinois.edu
On Jul 2, 2014, at 10:53 PM, Sam <perl@net153.net> wrote:

> On 06/29/2014 02:44 AM, Manoj Shekhawat wrote:
>> Hi Geeks,
>>
>> Can you please give me proper justification that Moose isn't that slow,
>> many people in my organisation are resisting its usage by just saying
>> that it's slow.
>>
>> I know we can increase it's speed by using:
>>
>> __PACKAGE__->meta->make_immutable;
>>
>> But any other points will be very helpful, we in our organization are
>> deciding to build a new automation tool using Moose.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!!
>>
>> --
>> Thanks!
>> Manoj Shekhawat
>
> We would need more info on where your people think it is slow at.
> Personally, the only performance hits I have noticed is a hit at start up (everyone knows that), and using native delegation using 'exists' on hashes.
> As a test, checking a list of 75k key values against a large hash took less than a second using a native hash. Using moose with a hashref and a handle to 'exists' took about 34 seconds. That might be an issue, but the fix is easy, just don't use a handle and make your own method.
>
> --Sam

Um, wow, did not know that.   Nice to know (I think I have a few of those lingering around).

chris