develooper Front page | perl.moose | Postings from July 2014

Re: Justification - Moose not slow

From:
Sam
Date:
Re: Justification - Moose not slow
Message ID:
53B4D3A9.7080401@net153.net
On 06/29/2014 02:44 AM, Manoj Shekhawat wrote:
> Hi Geeks,
>
> Can you please give me proper justification that Moose isn't that slow,
> many people in my organisation are resisting its usage by just saying
> that it's slow.
>
> I know we can increase it's speed by using:
>
> __PACKAGE__->meta->make_immutable;
>
> But any other points will be very helpful, we in our organization are
> deciding to build a new automation tool using Moose.
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> --
> Thanks!
> Manoj Shekhawat

We would need more info on where your people think it is slow at.
Personally, the only performance hits I have noticed is a hit at start
up (everyone knows that), and using native delegation using 'exists' on
hashes.
As a test, checking a list of 75k key values against a large hash took
less than a second using a native hash. Using moose with a hashref and a
handle to 'exists' took about 34 seconds. That might be an issue, but
the fix is easy, just don't use a handle and make your own method.

--Sam