develooper Front page | perl.moose | Postings from July 2011

Re: Moose documentation, "methods" and all that jazz...

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: Moose documentation, "methods" and all that jazz...
Message ID:
20110703120854.GA18041@cancer.codesimply.com
* Meir Guttman <meir@guttman.co.il> [2011-07-03T05:52:31]
> These pages deal a lot with "Attributes". In fact, four of these chapters,
> under different names, explain many aspects of these. Nevertheless, no
> explanation is offered as to the accessibility to these attributes. What are
> the scoping rules?
>
> As opposed to "attributes", "methods" get next to nothing treatment! The
> only coverage of methods is in the "concepts" chapter and it is literally
> this:

The thing that the other (correct) respondants did not explain is that Moose's
attribets are a very significant feature of Moose itself, provided by Moose.
Methods, on the other hand, are hardly any different from stock Perl, and I
believe the manual is written with the understanding that you already know how
to write basic OO Perl, or at least how to use objects by invoking their
methods.

I'm not sure whether we want to change it, but we'll consider it -- but that's
why it's like this.  You should, as suggested, check a short basic Perl OO
tutorial first.

--
rjbs