develooper Front page | perl.moose | Postings from March 2009

implications of using Any::Moose

From:
Jonathan Swartz
Date:
March 1, 2009 06:24
Subject:
implications of using Any::Moose
Message ID:
47FDA7E9-FFFF-47D5-8590-FFF06A2478F8@pobox.com
I'm thinking of switching the CHI distribution from Moose to
Any::Moose, as a way to reduce install dependencies and overhead. The
Mouse feature set is adequate for my needs.

But I realized that classes could get split between Moose and Mouse
depending on if/when Moose was loaded. e.g.

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use CHI;
    use CHI::Driver::File;         # This will use Mouse
    use Some::Module::That::Uses::Moose;
    use CHI::Driver::Memcached;    # This will use Moose

In practice, CHI driver classes get loaded on the fly as caches are
created with those drivers, so it isn't an option to preload all of
them.

Is it a problem for related classes to be split arbitrarily between
Mouse and Moose? Could it present a testing nightmare of having to
test all the possible combinations? Or are Moose and Mouse so
compatible that it doesn't matter (other than for class introspection,
etc.)?

Thanks
Jon