develooper Front page | perl.moose | Postings from February 2009

Re: advice on wrapping methods from a superclass

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
February 11, 2009 11:02
Re: advice on wrapping methods from a superclass
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.0.9999.0902111300510.18913@urth.org
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Jonathan Swartz wrote:

> The problem is that there are now legitimate reasons to "wrap" these methods
> at the CHI/Driver.pm superclass level (meaning, do something before and/or
> after the method). For example, I want to add an optional generic
> size-awareness feature (the cache can keep track of its own size), which
> means that we have to adjust size whenever remove() and clear() are called.
> And I want to log remove() calls the way we currently log get() and set().
>
> So one solution is to define remove() and clear() in CHI/Driver.pm, and have
> them call _remove() and _clear() in the driver subclasses.  But this kind of
> change makes me uneasy for several reasons:

You want to use augment/inner, I think.

See
http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Moose-0.68/lib/Moose/Cookbook/Basics/Recipe6.pod
and
http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Moose-0.68/lib/Moose/Manual/MethodModifiers.pod#INNER_AND_AUGMENT

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)