develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from May 2021

The passing of Spider Boardman

From:
Neil Bowers
Date:
May 25, 2021 14:06
Subject:
The passing of Spider Boardman
Message ID:
9812b854-e62e-46d5-ac72-04c621dd1cb9@Spark
I’m sad to have to report that Raun "Spider" Boardman (SPIDB on CPAN) has recently passed away, due to complications of COVID.

Spider released several distributions to CPAN, one of which (Net::Dnet) is still there. It looks like he tidied up older things.

Spider originally worked at Digital, where his daughter told me he worked on Unix (and presumably then Ultrix), and then stayed through acquisitions by Compaq and then HP, where he had worked on security.

Looking at early Perl 5 releases, I found that he not only contributed bug fixes to Perl itself, but was also contributing tweaks to hints files as well.