develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from April 2021

Re: Co-maint on File-ReadBackwards?

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
Re: Co-maint on File-ReadBackwards?
Message ID:
fab49ddd-53b4-4900-89f5-951938309e7d@perlhunter.com
On 4/22/21 6:32 AM, Neil Bowers wrote:
> Hi Uri,
>
>     sure. i gave co-maint on file::slurp. what kinds of bugs are there
>     in backwards? i didn't realize anyone was depending on it.
>

> Thank you for responding quickly, and for ok’ing the co-maint.
>
> There are 6 bugs open, but the one we’re keen to see a fix for is this
> one: https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=92313
> <https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=92313>
>
> The distribution has 15 direct dependents on CPAN, and a total of 30
> distributions rely on it. One of those is maintained by Graham Ollis
> (PLICEASE), who I’ve copied on this email. He has offered to take it
> on and release fixes. I’ve just given him co-maint on your behalf.

interesting. i never coded the tests for parallel execution. and i never
anticipated it would be done that way. so using the temp file thing
makes sense.

i haven't touched that module in years and only heard of a couple of
users. and i always find this amusing, i have never used it myself! i
wrote it as the solution in the perl cookbook was abysmal. it reads the
file forward line by line and saves each seek location in an array.  it
then loops from the end of that array and seeks to each line. so it is
very inefficient especially on large log files. so i wrote backwards to
supply a good way to do this. but i have yet to need it!

thanx,

uri