develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from February 2021

Re: Issue in XML::SimpleObject::LibXML Author DBRIAN not reachable

From:
Neil Bowers via modules
Date:
February 5, 2021 11:56
Re: Issue in XML::SimpleObject::LibXML Author DBRIAN not reachable
Message ID:
d1da762e-b0b0-4ca8-8c89-2659cfb3bca0@Spark
Hi Roman,

I feel I found an issue in  XML::SimpleObject::LibXML 0.60 in combination with perl 5.6 and XML::LibXML (will have to look up the version).

I was able to do a quick fix for me.
Perl is used in our build system for embedded firmware. Hence I am not a Perl professional.

The bug tracker is to be closed down soon. The author did not react on my email. The module has not been maintained for some 16 years.

In cases like this, I generally do the following:

1. I have a look at the author’s page on MetaCPAN (https://metacpan.org/author/DBRIAN), to see if they released anything recently. Danny last released something in 2014.
2. I have a look at the list of bugs, so see if there’s much recent action. There isn’t.
3. I check whether there are other modules dependent on this module — if so, there may be other people who are interested in seeing it fixed.  This is the graphic with grey/blue bars, next to the distribution name. There aren’t any.
4. Then I’ll try emailing the author at the email address shown on MetaCPAN (dbrian@cpan.org). If it bounces, that’s one thing. If there’s no reply, it might be going to an unread mailbox, or maybe he’s moved on and is no longer interested in Perl. In which case, you need to make your email really easy for him to reply to.
5. Search for his name on github, and see whether (a) he has a repo for the module you’re interested in, or (b) whether there are signs of recent activity.
6. You could email him with a suggested bugfix. If that doesn’t get a reply, and doesn’t bounce, then you could email asking if he’d be happy to give you co-maint permission on the module, so you can do a bugfix release.

Good luck!