develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from August 2020

CPAN - rationalising indexing permissions on the B-Utilsdistribution

From:
Neil Bowers
Date:
August 1, 2020 11:42
Subject:
CPAN - rationalising indexing permissions on the B-Utilsdistribution
Message ID:
f7c6e7a3-86fa-4d8a-8e7d-e1c3090a08d7@Spark
Hi all,

I’m one of the PAUSE admins, and I’m working through distributions that have split ownership, typically caused because releasers with co-maint added new packages, and in the past PAUSE would give them first-come on the new package. PAUSE now tries to ensure consistent permissions, so I’m working through the historical cases. B-Utils is one of them.

A regular rogues gallery[*] of CPAN authors have released B-Utils over the years, not all of whom had or still have indexing permissions. And ABERGMAN has first-come on B::Utils itself, but doesn’t seem to have ever done a release. Here’s the permissions on the two packages:

                  first-come  |  co-maints

    B::Utils       ABERGMAN   |  CLKAO ETHER JJORE SMUELLER
    B::Utils::OP   CLKAO      |        ETHER JJORE

Who is the best person to take first-come on both packages? JJORE has done the most releases in the last 10 years, and ETHER has done the last 2. PAUSE’s principle is to honour the permissions on the lead module, so ABERGMAN also has a claim. Is he the shadowy power behind the releasers throne?

1. Give ABERGMAN first-come on B::Utils::OP, and CLKAO will move to co-maint
2. Give JJORE first-come on both, possibly dropping ABERGMAN entirely, since honestly, what does he bring to the party?
3. Give ETHER first-come on both

And SMUELLER did his releases in the mists of time, before CLKAO added B::Utils::OP, which is why he doesn’t have co-maint on that package. Shall I just drop your co-maint Steffen?

[*] that is the collective noun, right?