develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from July 2020

doubts about name for a new module (a daemon/service)

From:
Anselmo Canfora
Date:
July 5, 2020 22:28
Subject:
doubts about name for a new module (a daemon/service)
Message ID:
ef09d664-2cdc-76ec-6809-6095c99fe48b@cpan.org
Hello,
due to some shortcomings of Incrond (
https://linux.die.net/man/8/incrond ) I have been forced to attempt to
write a drop-in replacement for it, so far the attempt seems successful
and I would like to upload it to CPAN but am undecided about the name to
give it.
As for the daemon itself, in the end resolved to name it /realtimed/
cause other suitable names have been already taken by other entities:

  * /inotifyd/ by /Alpine Linux/
  * /notifyd/ by /Cyrus IMAP/
  * /eventd/ by /eventd.org/

as long as CPAN name is concerned, I am dubious about the name, this
daemon works only on Linux, due to inotify system call usage, and it is
a single executable, so I thought about these possible names:

  * App::Realtimed
  * App::Linux::Realtimed
  * Linux::App::Realtimed
  * Linux::Daemon::Realtimed
  * Daemon::Linux::Realtimed
  * *Linux::Realtimed*
  * *Realtimed*

the last two ones seems preferable. Which one could be best suited in
your opinion? Can you advise? In case, can you reserve to me the chosen
namespace?
Thank you in advance for the support.

BTW, I already attempted some (wrong) uploads just to make some tests,
resulting in only one upload visible on CPAN (
https://metacpan.org/pod/Linux::realtimed ), but scheduled the files to
be deleted this Sunday:

--
Anselmo Canfora