develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from April 2019

Confusable / clashing modules in Net-Async-Slack

From:
Neil Bowers
Date:
April 26, 2019 09:35
Subject:
Confusable / clashing modules in Net-Async-Slack
Message ID:
7737F085-81B6-4EF3-AED5-5A525012513C@cogendo.com
Hi Tom,

I’m emailing you wearing my PAUSE admin hat. I’m emailing you about your Net-Async-Slack distribution, and I’ve copied Paul Evans, since he has co-maint.

The Net-Async-Slack distribution includes two modules:

    Net::Async::Slack::Event::ReconnectURL
    Net::Async::Slack::Event::ReconnectUrl

The names of these modules differ only in case. This means that if someone installs this distribution on a system with a case-insensitive filesystem (e.g. Windows and Macs by default), then one of these modules will overwrite the other, and you’ll just end up with whichever one is listed later in the tarball.

This also means you’ve currently ended up with PAUSE indexing permissions on both namespaces:

    Net::Async::Slack::Event::ReconnectURL,PEVANS,c
    Net::Async::Slack::Event::ReconnectURL,TEAM,f
    Net::Async::Slack::Event::ReconnectUrl,PEVANS,c
    Net::Async::Slack::Event::ReconnectUrl,TEAM,f

We’ll soon be releasing a change to PAUSE which will mean this sort of ambiguity / clash won’t be allowed to happen (if you release “foobar” and subsequently release “Foobar”, all permissions on foobar will be automatically switched to equivalent permissions on Foobar).

Given that ReconnectUrl is marked as experimental, maybe the right solution is to rename it to something like

    Net::Async::Slack::Event::Experimental::ReconnectUrl

Or maybe drop it from the distribution for now?

Are you happy for me to drop both of the permissions on Net::Async::Slack::Event::ReconnectUrl ready for the change coming to PAUSE?