develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from June 2018

Exercising 1 on GDPR

From:
Andreas Koenig
Date:
June 6, 2018 06:03
Subject:
Exercising 1 on GDPR
Message ID:
87efhkbgfk.fsf@k85.linux.bogus

Let's find out how we have to deal with this currently last posting in
the issue: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=122237#txn-1789298

 : 20180604T225532Z pravus@cpan.org - Correspondence added
 :
 : I no longer consider myself to be a CPAN author or part of the larger
 : Perl community in general. As per the terms of my license you are free
 : to remove my software from the CPAN.
 :
 : Please also remove all instances from BackPAN or any other service which
 : illicitly distributes this software. I would also request that I be
 : removed from the Perl AUTHORS file since my name was added without my
 : explicit permission.
 :
 : name will be ignored.

The following questions come to mind with tentative answers:

- is this posting authenticated?

No, but given the tone and context it seems that indeed our CPAN author
PRAVUS (Jason Hord) is speaking.

- is it targetted at us?

No, but given it is public and on a perl bug tracker, it might be
considered targetted at us by some.

- are we supposed to forward the request to the other entities
  mentioned?

I think we are not; at least in the sense of being legally obliged; but
morally we are. Thinking of that we could spare others troubles by
informing them early enough.

- should we act?

I think yes. I think his using of the term "illicitly distribute" is a
declaration of hostility. As long as he was talking about the laws of
physics, it could with good will be interpreted as humor, now I have too
many doubts.

- what's the right approach?

After a short talk with him to clarify what the real circumstances are,
we probably have to come to the conclusion that the contract is
terminated or that we have to terminate our contract with him.

- should we empty his directory?

I think we have to after termination.

- when we empty that directory, are we supposed to make a backup?

I think so. I just made one, just in case.

- if yes, when are we supposed to delete such a backup?

No idea, probably after three years, which is a frequent limitation for
contractual facts.

- which other questions have I missed to ask?

--
andreas