develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from June 2018

Net::Netmask - Maintenance Status

From:
Joelle Maslak
Date:
June 1, 2018 09:42
Net::Netmask - Maintenance Status
Message ID:
CADb+6TBy5VtfsqcLVbT9kTPm8SBf7b1413SAAv1ncW84VhmnQw@mail.gmail.com
David,

I've noticed that your CPAN module, Net::Netmask has ADOPTME as a
comaintainer.  I also note that there are some long-standing bugs that
would be good to address.  It's a module I use, although my main concern
(that's starting to become more of an issue) is the lack of IPv6 support.

Are you still maintaining this module, or might you be interested in
finding someone else to work on it?  If you're interested in finding
someone else, I'd love to take over maintenance of the module (my CPAN ID
is JMASLAK).

My background - I've programmed Perl for nearly 25 years, and have been
involved with internet networking for a bit longer than that.  I have a lot
of experience with internet development - I've written DNS, BGP, and LDP
daemons in Perl (sadly much of that code can't be released publicly), and
have built extensive IPv4 and IPv6 networks - so I believe I'm reasonably
qualified to work with this module.  My plans would be to keep the
interface compatible with existing code, but add IPv6 support and fix the
long double issues.

If you're still interested in continuing to maintain this, you might want
to remove the ADOPTME permission in PAUSE, and I'd love to talk to you
about some ideas I have for how to support IPv6 and get your feedback on
what might be helpful to you.  I'd also like to see it support -ld builds
of Perl.  If you're not interested in maintaining it, again, I'd be happy
to become a maintainer.

If none of this would be helpful to you, I apologize and am glad to defer
to your decisions on this module!