develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from October 2016

Re: Message from PAUSE Admins to DBIx::Class maintainers [resend]

From:
Peter Rabbitson
Date:
October 2, 2016 12:19
Re: Message from PAUSE Admins to DBIx::Class maintainers [resend]
Message ID:
527d402c-e372-e80a-a37a-e7b33a481636@cpan.org
On 10/02/2016 01:33 PM, David Golden wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Peter Rabbitson <ribasushi@cpan.org
> <mailto:ribasushi@cpan.org>> wrote:
> > The administrative transfer *combined* with the amount of work put
> > in by myself, and the utter disinterest of all other maintainers, places
> > me practically, procedurally and morally in the position to unilaterally
> > decide what to do with said project.
>
> We repeat: by PAUSE admin fiat, this is no longer true.  Saying it
> repeatedly will not make it true.
>
> I considered preemptively escrowing DBIC primary permissions with
> ADOPTME pending the outcome of these discussions, but felt that might
> discourage you from participating further and might show unfair bias
> against your ideas and moral authority, which is not our goal.
>
> However – make no mistake –  unilateral transfers will be undone
> unless we feel satisfied that the principles we have established for
> an orderly resolution have been honored.

Your (the admins) position has been noted.

> < snip >
>
> > I am still planning to remove all co-maint perms and handover the first-come
> > to a yet-undisclosed person. Given no clear line of succession [...]
> > the only responsible thing to do is to select a single spot of
> > responsibility and provide all possible support and infrastructure
> > for a proper project-freeze.
>
> That's not "I'm leaving CPAN and will be letting others take things
> forward".  That's "I'm kicking out everyone already involved and
> freezing the project."

The above is a verifiably dishonest statement. Nobody else is involved
at this stage and has not been for years.

> < snip>
>
> We don't oppose your plan.  We oppose the lack of transparency around
> an important decision for an important CPAN project.

I explained my reasoning for the lack of transparency, and am repeating
it here again:

> The selected person will not be announced until after the fact, in
> order to insulate him from having to deal with mst, before any
> permission transfer has taken place (or before my own work has even
> completed). In order to ease tensions I *will* share that he is a well
> known community member and was an invitee to at least one Perl5 QA
> Hackathon.

If the above is not satisfactory to the PAUSE admins - then I am afraid
your only option is to administratively prevent me from doing that, as
outlined at the start of this email.

> We, too, encourage other maintainers and/or community members to join
> the conversation.

As suggested in an earlier email: the PAUSE admins (as the only
legitimate concerned party at this point) would likely benefit having
this question asked in a wider forum ( the DBIC mailing list and/or
other channels ). Essentially someone has to trigger a "vote of no
confidence", otherwise this entire exchange is just a time consuming farce.

At this point the layout of various positions seems clear. My own plans
remain as described earlier: I plan to continue work for a bit longer,
and go through with my original plan of action, baring an uproar from
the user community.

Regards
RIBASUSHI