develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from September 2016

Upcoming PAUSE permissions dispute

From:
Peter Rabbitson
Date:
September 15, 2016 17:13
Subject:
Upcoming PAUSE permissions dispute
Message ID:
272835d7-1fd9-ef0a-ad0e-a62d2995c6e2@cpan.org
( as of the writing of this email no action is necessary - I am just
making the current situation known to avoid further escalation )

Greetings PAUSE admins,

I am writing in the capacity of FIRSTCOME on the DBIx::Class
distribution namespace ( granted to me years ago ). I have been in the
(slower than anticipated) process of wrapping up my involvement with
that distribution[1] and arranging for a "transfer of power"
[2](2nd-to-last paragraph).

Matt Trout, the former project founder who all but stopped working on
things in 2010 [3], inquired about the situation back on 2015-12-08 on
IRC and was informed about my plans as outlined in [2]. In the same
conversation he indicated to be content with what is about to happen.

As of the past 2 months or so, mst's stance changed, with increasing
demands to hand maint to 5 people of his choosing (something he refers
to as "the DBIC team", which is... perplexing to say the least). The
harassment culminated this morning with an SMS I received at 1:40am UTC:

> Please do be aware that my last email is your last chance to cooperate with your team, and ignoring it may push reality down another path.

I am writing to this list, as I have strong reasons to believe mst is
about to abuse his power as PAUSE admin, preventing me from exercising
my author rights as currently (Sep 2016) recognized by PAUSE ( outlined
towards the middle of [4] ).

This belief is backed by antics like [5] and by mst already having
abused his oper privileges on irc.perl.org: the irc channel #dbix-class
was registered by me together with #sql-translator and #dbic-cabal back
on 2014-07-21 18:00 UTC, yet with zero communication from any IRC oper
the current stats read:

> -ChanServ-      Channel: #sql-translator
> -ChanServ-      Founder: ribasushi << ONLINE >>
> -ChanServ-   Registered: 2 years 8 weeks (10h 29m 33s) ago
> -ChanServ-    Last Used: 9 hours 27 minutes 16 seconds ago
> -ChanServ-      Options: Secure

> -ChanServ-      Channel: #dbix-class
> -ChanServ-      Founder: mst, last seen: 12 weeks 2 days (9h 22m 18s) ago
> -ChanServ-   Registered: 12 weeks 2 days (9h 22m 18s) ago
> -ChanServ-    Last Used: 7 weeks 5 days (16h 58m 58s) ago
> -ChanServ-      Options: Secure

I did not raise an alarm about this, as I avoid speaking in these
channels lately anyway. But I did notice.

I am however not yet done with what I have to do within CPAN. As per [2]
the end is not far - in fact I have less than 2 weeks to ship the best
thing I can given the circumstances. After that I will do said
permission transfers as promised in [6]. And no - it will not be
MSTROUT, nor a member of the mythical team.

As I said in the first line of this email: as it stands there is no
action necessary from any of the admins, and I sincerely hope it remains
this way. I am writing this as my last response to the (silly from my
POV) conversation with mst, doubling as "here are my intentions in case
something unfortunate happens to my PAUSE account".

Thank you, and sorry for the noise

P.S. mst: PLONK (as per your request [7])

[1]
http://dbix-class.35028.n2.nabble.com/Re-Traffic-pattern-changes-ahead-td7578918.html
[2]
http://dbix-class.35028.n2.nabble.com/Re-Traffic-pattern-changes-ahead-td7578918.html#a7578965