develooper Front page | perl.modules | Postings from May 2004

Re: [Andreas J Koenig] Re: Trojan horses in Makefile.PLs

From:
merlyn
Date:
May 5, 2004 04:25
Re: [Andreas J Koenig] Re: Trojan horses in Makefile.PLs
Message ID:
86vfjb3ylg.fsf@blue.stonehenge.com

Domizio> So, since for other people a prompt during the install is
Domizio> problematic as well, and since for me is problematic to not
Domizio> even know that someone is installing my modules, I decided to
Domizio> put a clear note in the "INSTALLATION" POD section which will
Domizio> inform the users about that checking version process.

That's not sufficient for me.  I never read "INSTALLATION" if CPAN.pm's
"install" command works.

No, the default should be "don't phone home", although you can
put a note that prints from Makefile.PL to say:

        If you'd like to verify that you have the latest version,
        please run "perl Makefile.PL check_version=1" instead.

and enable your check when the appropriate variable is found.