develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from April 2019

Re: [RFC] File::TVShow::Parse

From:
John M. Gamble
Date:
April 16, 2019 19:54
Re: [RFC] File::TVShow::Parse
Message ID:
257752ab3b41cc73104ebcb9767a09a8.squirrel@webmail.ripco.com
On Mon, April 15, 2019 12:46 pm, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:04:24PM -0400, Dan Book wrote:
>
>> As a side note, remember that the X.Y.Z form of versions (with more than
>> one decimal point) is a sequence of integers ...
>
> Sadly it's worse than that.
>
> There exists popular software management software out there written by
> idiots who think that 3.0014 > 3.1, so that rule applies even when
> you're using numbers in the form X.Y with a single decimal point. Those
> people did a lot of hard work to break numeric comparisons, one of the
> few things that computers are any good at.

Are we at the point where there is no reason to not use X.Y.Z? I recall (I
think) the historical reasons for using the 5.00y00z format, but given
that minimum Perl versions are now specified in META.* files, surely
there's no real reason to keep doing that anymore?

I say this while looking at all my modules, which still use the fraction
format.

     -john