develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from March 2019

Re: [naming] To pragma or not to pragma?

From:
Dan Book
Date:
March 2, 2019 09:02
Re: [naming] To pragma or not to pragma?
Message ID:
CABMkAVUOwZ4Y8Eh6pjMkrO+WdVFU9yX=jSdi-+MUETgvHYHbew@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 1:01 AM Konstantin S. Uvarin <khedin@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I'd like to release a module that lazy-loads other modules to reduce
> startup time.
>
>   My initial idea was `lazy` but that was taken, so I switched to
> `on::demand`. There's also `autouse` with similar functionality.
>
>   However, on second thought I'm not even sure if a lowercase name fits in
> here. It's certainly not as effectful as `namespace::clean` or `strict`.
>
>   So the question is, what are the guidelines for deeming a module to be
> worth called a pragma?

Strictly speaking, a pragma is usually supposed to affect the lexical scope
it's imported to, rather than the package. "lib" has precedent of doing
neither and instead affecting global state, which is more similar to your
idea. I would say use whichever looks better to you.

-Dan