develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from January 2019

Re: Module naming advice, please.

From:
Doug Bell
Date:
January 23, 2019 19:02
Re: Module naming advice, please.
Message ID:
B9963388-51FA-4216-B26D-B28FAE8EFA4F@preaction.me
> On Jan 23, 2019, at 9:16 AM, Rory McKinley <rorymckinley@capefox.co> wrote:
>
> I am developing a hosted application called Spoor. I would like to build a Perl client module for this application that will (amongst other things) interact with the Spoor Api.
>
> My current inclination is to call the module Spoor::Client, but that will mean that I will be creating a new top-level name which I know is discouraged. Is there a suitable top-level name that I could host my client under, or would grabbing the Spoor name be ok under these circumstances?

If it's a web service, I'd say use WWW:: or WebService::. If it's an OSI Layer 7 protocol like HTTP, I'd go with Net::. If all else fails, API::Spoor wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Doug Bell
doug@preaction.me