develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2018

Re: tools and work flows for developing collections of distributions

From:
David Christensen
Date:
Re: tools and work flows for developing collections of distributions
Message ID:
9c00ef1a-d3aa-a6ee-ce2d-9e5c3534ff4c@holgerdanske.com
On 11/22/18 2:31 AM, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 02:50:26PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
>> On 11/21/18 2:15 AM, David Cantrell wrote:
>>> These days people tend to just create Task-whatever
>>> distributions, which contain a bit of documentation in Task::whatever
>>> for the benefit of metacpan users, and the usual Makefile.PL to declare
>>> dependencies.
>> Where can I find documentation that explains Tasks and how to create them?
>
> The same place you'd find documentation on creating any other completely
> normal distribution.
>
>> I assume you are referring to the PREREQ_PM argument to WriteMakefile().
>> As I understand it, this argument assumes that the modules are already
>> installed.
>
> A CPAN client will spot the dependencies and install them.
>
>>             So for development, I would need to preface the Perl include
>> path with the 'lib' directories for each of my distribution source trees
>> (?).
>
> If you want to test against stuff that isn't on the CPAN, yes. If you
> have all your distributions' sources as sub-dirs of a single directory
> you can do something like ...
>
>    cd $wherever
>    export PERL5LIB=`perl -MCwd -e 'print join(":", map { cwd."/$_/lib" } @ARGV)' *`:$PERL5LIB
>
> but note that that won't work for stuff that has XS components, or where
> Makefile.PL does funky stuff to edit your code, or where your source
> code isn't laid out in the normal hierarchy. Also on at least some
> platforms there is a limit on how long PERL5LIB can be.

Okay.

David