develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2018

Module naming - exposing Win API function ShellExecute

From:
Timothy Madden
Date:
November 13, 2018 17:05
Subject:
Module naming - exposing Win API function ShellExecute
Message ID:
e4967577-3113-d68d-af3a-c39360bd1439@gmail.com
Hello,

For ::ShellExecute API function on Windows I got confused with the
possible names like:

  - Win32::ShellExecute
  - Win32::API::ShellExecute
  - Win32API::ShellExecute

I noticed Win32API:: namespace mostly uses XS modules to expose the API,
while my module uses dynamic loading of .dll files with Win32::API. Some
people say this is not as good as the equivalent XS binding, though it
is not clear for me why and I much prefer pure-perl modules for
distribution / installation reasons.

I also need some names for a couple of modules like:

  - Win32::CmdQuote::Simple, for command quoting in a safe and strict
manner, as this is a big issue on Windows

  - Win32::API::Error, for a base exception class that encapsulates the
error message and error code from ::GetLastError()

  - Win32::API::CreateProcess - there is a module available that exposes
only part of the call interface of the C function, so I would need a
more detailed module (the function argument list is rather complicated
for this one).

I am a bit worried about the proper names as I notice Win32:: and
Win32API:: modules are included by default with the Windows version of
perl (I use Strawberry). I also believe there is a need for more API
functions exposed in the language for the Windows platform.

Any suggestions appreciated,

--
Thank you,
Timothy Madden