develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from May 2017

Module naming -- processing 3D JPEG files...

From:
BC
Date:
May 3, 2017 03:25
Subject:
Module naming -- processing 3D JPEG files...
Message ID:
alpine.LRH.2.03.1705022242470.24884@conundrum.unh.edu
Oh great and wise sages of the CPAN wisdom,

I'd like some feedback and advice for naming some modules I am
contemplating.

    Image::Stereo::MPO
    Image::Stereo::JPS
    Image::Stereo::JPG

These would be modules used for basic manipulation of
stereographic JPEG-based images.

Here's a bit of background for the interested.

MPO -- Multi-Picture Format

    Digital 3D cameras (yes, there are such things) most commonly
    store L/R images as a pair of JPEG files in a container file
    with the extension ".MPO".  The container file also contains
    additional meta data, beyond the standard JPEG fields, that
    describes relationships between the images.  (Actually, to be
    more accurate, MPO files can store any number of related
    images, such as for panoramics.  But in practice, in the wild,
    MPO files contain stereographic pairs.)

JPS -- JPEG Stereo Format

    Another older format for stereographic pairs has an extension
    of ".JPS".  This is a JPEG file with the R/L images 'glued'
    together side-by-side and some additional meta data (EXIF).

JPG

    And L/R stereo pairs are often just combined into a single
    JPEG file without any special meta data and may be in a
    side-by-side or under-over format.

A common thing to want to do is to take L/R stereo pair of JPEG
files and combine them into a single MPO or JPS file, and
likewise take an MPO or JPS file and split it out into two
separate JPEG files.  That's what these modules will do.

OK -- probably more than you wanted to know.

As for the module names, stereographic images are commonly
referred to as 3D images, but there are other associations for
the term, plus I'm guessing that "::3D::" would be a no-no for
CPAN module naming.  Stereographic images are also shorthanded as
just "stereo" which is a more reasonable name length.

...BC

--
-------------------------------[ Bill.Costa@alumni.unh.edu ]--
  Bill Costa