develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2016

A funny module that shortens one-liners - is it worth globalnamespace?

From:
Konstantin S. Uvarin
Date:
December 27, 2016 10:20
Subject:
A funny module that shortens one-liners - is it worth globalnamespace?
Message ID:
CAJj2qW=2t8fDgVfTFREi5VN9FdgNhk2urj6N=P5bCb8HGapp9w@mail.gmail.com
Hello everyone,

  I've come up with idea or a module that shortens (mostly test) one-liners.

  E.g. we have something like

  perl -we 'use My::Very::Long::Module; $x = My::Very::Long::Module->new(
foo => 42 ); print $x->foo;'

  I've come up with an interface to shorten that to just

  perl -Mnew=x=My::Very::Long::Module,foo,42 -we "print $x->foo;"

  It works well under strict, too.

  And it looks like it makes some sense - see this Perlmonks discussion:
http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=1178455

  However, I'm still unsure if the fun is worth putting into global
namespace, and module name HAS to be short, otherwise it kills the idea.

  Maybe there's a way to get people to try it out first without polluting
CPAN if it fails?

  Acme::n? github project w/o CPAN release?..

  The module itself:

  https://gist.github.com/dallaylaen/206a649ea54db4c6db93e99a2e9514b0

  Thank you,

--