develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2011

Re: Naming of Perl module

From:
Bill Ward
Date:
Re: Naming of Perl module
Message ID:
CAKGT8WrWkoXHZSVsqcum=K+SF61HqLgCt7R-WFhukvDz0bjQmA@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:46 AM, Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com> wrote:

> Bill Ward writes:
>
> > File::RegexMatch?
>
> I think having ::Find:: in there would be better, so that it's
> immediately obvious that this module performs a similar task to the
> other modules already named like that.
>
> File::Find::Regexp, perhaps?

I like that, but that implies that its interface is similar to File::Find.
Is it?

> (Note that 'Regexp' with a 'p' appears to be the canonical Perl way of
> spelling it:
>
>  % perl -E "say ref qr//"
>
> It's also a superset of the spelling 'Regex', so searching for 'Regex'
> should still find it, whereas searching for 'Regexp' wouldn't match
> 'Regex'.
>
> On the downside, 'Regexp' is considerably harder to say than 'Regex'.)

You're right, but I'm much more accustomed to Regex for some reason,
despite the fact that Emacs too uses "regexp"

--
Check out my LEGO blog at http://www.brickpile.com
Follow/friend me: facebook.com/billward • flickr.com/photos/billward •