develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2011

Re: The CPAN Morass

From:
Linda W
Date:
Re: The CPAN Morass
Message ID:
4EDD67FB.5050607@tlinx.org

Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 09:42:30AM -0800, Linda W wrote:
>

>>     The assertion was that such a thing does not.  It is is incumbent
>> upon you, who want to refute that
>> assertion to provide at least 1 example to disprove the general
>> assertion.   Claiming it is a research
>> opportunity (because you don't know of any), is what i would expect of
>> the average person cannot refute my stated position.   Is that your
>> final answer?  ;-)
>>
>>     Or would you like to get serious?
>>

> Intel's icc is available for Linux (for x86 and x86_64, I assume)
> Sun's compiler is available for Linux (just for x86 and x86_64, I think)
> I've used lcc on Linux
> I've not tried clang on Linux
>
> That's 4 without trying, all of which I believe can be used in some cases
> without payment.
>
> Nicholas Clark

---
    I have tried to get a hold of icc, you had to be a famous developer
or pay money -- I wanted to try it because it was said to do a much
better job of optimizing than the gnu compiler...

Somehow I don't know that your experience in getting free use of
compilers is typical,

I wasn't aware Sun's compiler was available, unencumbered from sun and
haven't heard of lcc/clang
will have to investigate them.

   " did say:" I didn't ask for an exhaustive list -- even one compiler
that produces as good as [code] and supports 32/64 bit linux and windows..."

    Do any besides gnu have 64-bit supp0rt on Windows?