develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2011

Re: The CPAN Morass

From:
Dana Hudes
Date:
Re: The CPAN Morass
Message ID:
354947672-1322953137-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-2052961746-@b12.c10.bise6.blackberry
Solaris Perl is compiled using the Sun C compiler since at least Solaris 8. Once known as Forte now Solaris Studio.
IDK what Perl on Moc OS X is compiled with but suspect not gcc. A LOT of people write Perl on Mac.

Not everyone runs Linux. It is completely legitimate to have CPAN modules which were not even tested on Linux. You may not find their code of interest but to decide it is of no value if it doesn't run on Linux is not terribly clueful. I point to the IMHO nice useful Solaris namespace modules on CPAN.  I don't run Linux: windows at home, Solaris 8, 9, 10 and 11 at work. My personal web space is some Linux variant with a broken gcc and bespoke broken Perl -- they tend to heavily favor PHP.
Dana Hudes