Re: The CPAN Covenant

From:
Gabor Szabo
Date:
Re: The CPAN Covenant
Message ID:
CABe4FJBCyPsMTfg_r0t=jUDJVivHuDTfzx6yuxwDQ3O4J+pSyw@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 7:17 AM,  <dhudes@hudes.org> wrote:
> I've mostly ignored all this but I will step in briefly.
> I am the author of a few modules on CPAN. None of them are major.

> Other stuff of mine is in the alpha, proof-of-concept stage as a set.

> I have various sysadmin tools for DNS which I haven't finished ...

Let me jump in on this as I think these are very good examples for
why are there many modules that *seem* not to be useful or
maintained. These might bring to confusion, especially for the 99% who
are not in the echo chamber.
I have a similar list though I think, unlike those of dhudes,
most of my stuff is totally useless.
Let me give some use cases: (or maybe useless cases) of
*my* CPAN modules:

1) Some are totally useless. The reason I don't remove them is
   a) someone, somewhere might be using it
   b) be able to learn from it (e.g from the mistakes)
   c) I have emotional connection to them (my first one)
  I'd be happy to mark the modules accordingly if there was an easy way
  to do that but I don't want to upload a new version for it.

2) I have some modules that might be useful but I lost interest in them.
  It would be nice if there was an easy way to mark them (again, without
  uploading a new version) that they are (IMHO) somewhat useful and they
  are up for adoption.

3) I have a few modules that would need some serious work. Currently I don't
    have time but I hope in the future I will. I don't want to give away
    maintenance but I might be open to patches. I'd like to be able to
    easily express this without uploading a new version.

4) There is I think only one distribution that is really useful and there
    are multiple authors and multiple co-maintainers for that.
    So that's OK I think.

So if there was an easy way to mark these things I'd probably put in
some time to do that. Then this could be displayed on the
interfaces CPAN has.
(I don't mind if this is in PAUSE or MetaCPAN)

Some other - active - people might also be ready to mark their modules.

This does not solve the problem for the modules of authors who have
not been around for a long time but this might be a good step
in improving the situation and its perception.

Gabor