Re: The CPAN Covenant

From:
Eric Wilhelm
Date:
Re: The CPAN Covenant
Message ID:
201111281049.01210.enobacon@gmail.com
# from Linda W
# on Monday 28 November 2011 10:07:

>   In that case, such modules on CPAN are worse than DEAD WEIGHT, they
> don't just take up space.  People, like you say, come to CPAN for
> 'modules that install in a straight forward manner'.   If the module
> fails in that regard, then the module has no place on CPAN.

It might not be pretty, but this is no reason to say that it has no
place on the CPAN.  The CPAN is just a bunch of files.

>   The  person who I responded clearly stated that unless I was
> willing to pay to make it his highest priority, then my patches would
> be given lowest priority.

I believe you may have misunderstood David in that regard.  It sounds to
me like he was saying that nobody has a right to demand anything from a
volunteer and I whole-heartedly agree with that.

I will answer many demands for a fee, but none for free.  That is not to
say that I am not often helpful by volunteering my time and code, but
acting entitled to my services makes me far less inclined to help.

> Personally, I don't like that attitude nor
> do I believe it belongs on CPAN which is supposed to be about you
> **giving** to the community (not charging them for it!)

The CPAN is just a bunch of files.  I don't think it holds as much
meaning as it does bytes.  I seem to recall that the only requirement
of the CPAN is that you cannot charge a fee for the code -- which seems
to be more of a functional matter than an expression of any sort of
ideal (in that a toll filesystem is impractical and harder to maintain
than a free one.)  If one were to extend that line of thought, one
might conclude that a heavily policied CPAN is less practical and
harder to maintain than "just a bunch of files."

There are many tools (such as cpan/+/m) and collections of data built on
top of and around the CPAN (e.g. ratings, testers data).  You are free
to contribute to those or make your own, and thus everyone is free of
long discussions about what should or should not be, because the CPAN
is just a bunch of files.

--Eric
--
The opinions expressed in this e-mail were randomly generated by
the computer and do not necessarily reflect the views of its owner.