Re: The CPAN Covenant

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
Re: The CPAN Covenant
Message ID:
20111118224226.GA8895@klangraum.plasmasturm.org
* yanick@babyl.dyndns.org <yanick@babyl.dyndns.org> [2011-11-18 16:00]:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 02:06:54PM +0100, "Burak G?rsoy" wrote:
> > I think something like this must be standalone like Software::License.
> > Attaching it to Dist::Zilla limits the audience heavily.
>
> Very good point. I'll extract the pledge wording itself to a separate
> distribution (CPAN::Covenant, CPAN::AuthorPledge, CPAN::Pledge?).

Covenant seems much more appropriate a term than pledge since the author
isn’t making a promise about action or behaviour, but is rather granting
permission for such to be taken with his property. I think some extra
qualification would be useful though. Only I can think of nothing that
isn’t a mouthful. It’s about maintainer privileges, but how do you put
that so it rolls off the tongue? “Author” is not exact. “Maint” came to
mind but it sounds like it it might mean that you are making a promise
to maintain the module, which is not the point. OwnershipCovenant is
probably the most accurate, but ugh… Anyway, I’ll put the brush aside.

Regards,