The end of 5.6 is nigh!

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
November 12, 2011 15:50
Subject:
The end of 5.6 is nigh!
Message ID:
4EBF062B.7090208@pobox.com
It's that time again!  Time when I hammer the last few nails in the coffin of
a version of Perl.

By which I mean, the next major release of Test::More (aka Test::Builder1.5)
will support 5.8.1 and up.  ExtUtils::MakeMaker will probably go that way,
too.  This effectively cuts off most of CPAN from 5.8.0 and down.  This will
happen in the next few months.

Test::More might nudge its requirement a little higher depending on just how
difficult it is to work around early threading bugs in the earlier 5.8 releases.

At this point I don't imagine this will cause too much disruption.  There
aren't many serious 5.6 users left and whomever is left has to have already
come up with some sort of 5.6PAN solution.

Dropping 5.6 will ease maintenance and testing of these modules and make a
greater baseline of core modules available.  However, if a company or
organization would like to see 5.6 compatibility retained, they can contact me
about sponsoring the extra work for continued maintenance.

Thanks to Sarathy and rgs for some great and long lived releases!  It's been a
good eight years.

Schwern
  Slayer of Pseudo-Hashes
  Defender of Lexical Encapsulation