Re: The module authors pledge

From:
yanick
Date:
Re: The module authors pledge
Message ID:
20111111224322.GA17204@gilgamesh.babyl.dyndns.org
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:27:04PM +0000, Neil Bowers wrote:
> Interesting thought. How about:
>
> 	- if a distribution author appears to be inactive, then the author would receive an email to their registered
> 	  CPAN email address saying "this distro appears to be inactive, just reply to this email to let me know otherwise".

That's the tricky part where the the system has not to be too spammy.
For peeps with one or two dists, it's not an issue. For the CPAN titans
who are owning hundreds of distributions, we... probably don't want to
send an email for every module.  We should have at most an aggregated
reminder every X weeks, and allow for the author to see/select her
distros in a single, easy way.

> The lack of a release isn't a sufficient criterion for inactive: there are plenty of solid modules which don't need
> a release, because there's nothing to be done.

Exactly.

> I think this would still have to be a mechanism that an author has to sign up to, rather than it automatically
> being applied.

	Considering the nature of CPAN, I tend to agree. Trying to force
it everyone's throat would be the best way to quickly and utterly doom
the project. And probably ensure to wake up one morning with a camel's
head in our bed. :-)

> There could be two ways you could tag a module:
>
> 	(a) up for adoption
> 	(b) open to adoption requests

and, as Olaf mentioned, (c) open to co-parenting / wouldn't mind
some help

Joy,
`/anick