Re: The module authors pledge

From:
Todd Rinaldo
Date:
Re: The module authors pledge
Message ID:
E5AD04B1-7061-4C03-9BAC-E137AC555A1F@cpanel.net

On Nov 10, 2011, at 4:41 PM, Neil Bowers wrote:

>>>   I hereby give modules@perl.org permission to grant co-maintainership
>>>   to any of my modules, if the following conditions are met:
>>>
>>>   (1) I haven't released the module for a year or more
>>>   (2) There are outstanding issues on RT which need addressing
>>>   (3) Email to my CPAN email address hasn't been answered after a month
>>>   (4) The requester wants to make worthwhile changes that will benefit CPAN [...]
>>
>> I think that this isn't really different from what happens now anyway.
>
> I'm interested to hear what you think would make it different?

I've taken over several modules in the past few years. These are the required steps laid out in the FAQ:

1. Open RT tickets about the issues you are having in the appropriate queue.
-- Normally I just ping an existing RT ticket. Few modules which have not had a release in a few years lack RT tickets.

2. Email the author(s) with as many email addresses as you can determine, cc'ing modules@cpan.org
-- About 30% of the time, I get a response and resolution with this approach. The biggest problem with this is usually that the address forwarded to by the @cpan.org address bounces. To me, a valid email address in your pause settings is 10x more useful than updating or creating any new meta data.

If I could make any plea to authors, it would be: Module authors, please be sure that you update pause so that your cpan.org address goes somewhere you monitor.

3. Publicly post that you're looking for the author in a frequented blog source
I setup a google blog and have ironman feeding it. I often get helper responses telling me how to find the person. I'll usually do this post the same day I email if it bounces.

The rest is a waiting game. Usually a month. I tend to patch internally, make sure the patch used is in RT. Then ping modules@cpan.org when the time goes by.

To date, I've had very little issues with the existing process. I don't see how the above manifesto expedites this process:

>>>   (1) I haven't released the module for a year or more
I've never had the urge to take on a module being actively maintained, so this isn't really an issue for me. I've got enough work of my own. :)

>>>   (2) There are outstanding issues on RT which need addressing
If the modules gone a year or more without any RT tickets, it's a rare module.

>>>   (3) Email to my CPAN email address hasn't been answered after a month
This already is part of the existing policy.

>>>   (4) The requester wants to make worthwhile changes that will benefit CPAN [...]
That's kinda implied but sure.

My 2 cents.
Todd