Re: The module authors pledge

From:
Shawn H Corey
Date:
Re: The module authors pledge
Message ID:
4EBBD29C.9090902@gmail.com
On 11-11-08 11:22 AM, Neil Bowers wrote:
> One of the problems I see with CPAN is that there are many modules
> which have been left unattended. Many of these have outstanding bugs,
> and a good number have patches and forked versions, some of which you can
> find on RT. You'll also find people offering to take over the maintainership
> of modules. While reviewing modules I've identified a lot of fixes, and
> documentation improvements, but it can take a lot of effort to get them out.

That's because CPAN uses old technology. But don't blame it; it was
state of the art when it started.

Convert CPAN to git and all these problems go away. With git, anyone can
fork and improve any module. And if the original author is still
interested, he can merge these improvements back into his copy. The only
problem left is finding the best fork. :)

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
   Shawn

Confusion is the first step of understanding.

as it is about coding.

The secret to great software:  Fail early & often.

Eliminate software piracy:  use only FLOSS.

"Make something worthwhile."  -- Dear Hunter