develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2011

Re: How to break apart a large distribution?

From:
Fields, Christopher J
Date:
October 17, 2011 20:29
Re: How to break apart a large distribution?
Message ID:
2D9AA7B3-FC3E-4050-85BE-2741E3CAD514@illinois.edu
Hi,

The BioPerl core developers (including myself) have decided to work on breaking up the huge code base into separate distributions on CPAN, using dependencies to install only the needed modules (something WAY overdue).  I noticed that several distributions have undergone similar paths (LWP being a recent example).

Any pointers we could use?  Can this be gradually done (BioPerl is HUGE, around 1000 modules), or should we have these all ready to go at once?

chris