develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2011

Re: Starting a module's history from gitpan

From:
Yanick Champoux
Date:
October 12, 2011 13:54
Re: Starting a module's history from gitpan
Message ID:
4E95FE5E.6050101@babyl.dyndns.org
On 11-10-12 03:56 PM, Buddy Burden wrote:
>> >      That would be the simplest way to go. That you would never merge back
>> >  is no problem: anybody cloning or forking your project will only see
>> >  the original commits  as part of your repo history, and no-one will
>> >  ever be the wiser.

> Okay, that's the main thing I was wondering.  I didn't know if somehow
> GitHub would consider my repo to be a fork forever-more and that might
> somehow have negative side-effects.  I didn't think so, but I figured
> it couldn't hurt to ask.

	If forking directly from Github, people will see that it has been
forked from gitpan/Data-Random in the network view, but I can't see how
it could stigmatize your project. If the META.json of the distribution
is correctly set, peeps will know that you hold the main repo. If
anything, it might help people find your repo if they find the gitpan
version first (as they will see it in its own network). In any case, I
don't think it's a huge deal that would bring terrible consequences
either way. :-)

>> >      $ git cpan-import --gitpan Data::Random
> Interesting ... are there advantages to that method over just forking gitpan?

	Not really. It's just a quick, cli-alternative to clone the repo
locally. There Is More Than One Way To Fork It, I guess. ;-)

Joy,
`/anick